Neuro-Otology is the area of medicine focused on the neurological aspects of the auditory and vestibular apparatus. A neuro-otologist is a physician who has completed a five-year residency training program in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery (ear, nose and throat surgery) followed by advanced fellowship training in otology/neuro-otology.
Within Ear, Nose and Throat Associates of South Florida, our 3 fellowship trained neurotologists, Doctors Mark Widick, Joshua Light and John Li are board certified and provide medical and surgical care of adult and pediatric patients with diseases that affect the ears, facial nerve, balance system, temporal bone, skull base, and related structures of the head and neck.
Specifically, our neuro-otologists are experienced in:
- the evaluation and management of tinnitus (noises in the ear)
- conductive hearing loss
- sensorineural hearing loss
- hearing problems related to trauma
- dizziness and imbalance disorders including vertigo, Meniere’s disease, benign positional vertigo, vestibular neuronitis, and labyrinthitis
- disorders of the facial nerve, including tumors and Bell’s palsy
- eardrum perforations
- infectious and inflammatory diseases of the ear
- repair of congenital malformations of the ear
- surgical hearing reconstruction procedures such as Tympanoplasty, Mastoidectomy, and Ossicular Chain Reconstruction
- surgical hearing restoration including cochlear implants and bone anchored hearing aids
- surgical removal of benign and malignant tumors that involve the ear, hearing nerve and skull base
- revision surgery for initial procedures performed by other ENT physicians that may have been unsuccessful